Dr. Michael S. Guss is an orthopedic surgeon, fellowship trained in hand, wrist, shoulder and elbow surgery. He treats upper extremity injuries for patients of all ages. He is a clinical instructor of orthopedic surgery at Tufts University School of Medicine and is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Guss has a special interest in carpal and cubital tunnel release, tendon injuries and disorders, upper extremity trauma, including fractures and reconstruction of the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder, arthroscopic and open surgery of the shoulder, wrist and elbow, shoulder replacements and non-operative treatment utilizing ultrasound guided injections and therapy, including new and cutting edge biologic treatments such as Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP).
MEET DR. GUSS
Dr. Guss is an orthopedic surgeon, fellowship trained in hand, wrist, shoulder and elbow surgery. He has expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of all injuries, conditions, and disorders of the entire upper extremity, including both operative and non-operative modalities, for patients of all ages.
Dr. Guss graduated from Boston University with the highest honors, summa cum laude. He then attended New York University School of Medicine, a top 10 ranked medical school nationally, where he graduated valedictorian, receiving the NYU Alpha Omega Alpha Award and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, an honor given to only the top 5% of aspiring doctors.
Dr. Guss pursued his orthopedic surgery residency at the prestigious New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases in Manhattan, NY, a top 10 ranked – nationally recognized orthopedic surgery residency, where he was chosen to serve as Executive Chief Resident during his final year of training. During his residency, Dr. Guss received training from renowned orthopedic surgeons, including Dr. Joseph Zuckerman, the former President of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS).
Dr. Guss then completed the prestigious Fellowship in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, where he did an additional year of training in the upper extremity – shoulder to fingertip, where he trained under the orthopaedic upper extremity surgeons for the Pittsburgh professional sports teams.
Dr. Guss has been involved in numerous research projects studying hand and wrist fracture care, return to play and performance in athletes after surgical treatment and ligament reconstruction of the wrist and elbow. He has authored multiple medical journal publications in addition to presenting his research in hand and upper extremity surgery at local and national meetings and received a basic science research award at the annual Pittsburgh Imbriglia Hand and Upper Extremity Lectureship for his research on traumatic elbow instability.
Dr. Guss lives in Brookline with his wife and their Goldendoodle, Hudson. He is an avid sports fan and enjoys spending time with his family, hiking, traveling, and being outdoors.
CONDITIONS & TREATMENTS
HAND & WRIST
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Endoscopic and Open)
Hand, Finger, Thumb Arthritis
Trigger Finger and Trigger Thumb (Injections and Release)
Hand and Finger Fractures (Boxer Fracture, Metacarpal Fracture, Phalanx Fracture)
Wrist Fractures (Distal Radius Fractures)
Nerve Injury and Repair (Nerve Lacerations, Cut Nerves)
Nerve Transfers (Radial, Ulnar or Median Nerve Palsy)
Thumb Ligament Reconstruction, CMC Arthroplasty (CMC Arthritis)
Wrist Ligament Injuries (Scapholunate (SL) Tears)
Forearm Fractures (Radius and Ulna Fractures)
Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
Mucous Cysts (Finger Cyst)
Wrist Ganglion (Wrist Cyst)
Wrist Arthroscopy, TFCC Repair (Wrist Scope)
Dupuytren’s Contracture (Surgical Release and Nonoperative Treatment with Xiaflex (Collagenase))
Tendon Repair, Tendon Transfer, Tendon Reconstruction, Tendon Ruptures
Tendonitis of the Wrist (Dequervain’s)
Biceps and Triceps Tears (Bicep Ruptures)
Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
Golfer’s Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
Ulnar Nerve Compression (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome)
Elbow Fractures (Radial Head Fractures, Olecranon Fractures, Distal Humerus Fractures)
Elbow Replacement (Elbow Arthroplasty)
Elbow Ligament Reconstruction (UCL and LCL)
Osteochondral Defects of the Elbow (OCD Lesions)
Rotator Cuff Injuries (Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair)
Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Capsulitis)
Shoulder Tendonitis (Shoulder Impingement, Rotator Cuff Tendonitis)
Shoulder Fractures (Proximal Humerus Fractures)
Total Shoulder Replacement (Shoulder Arthroplasty)
Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
Biceps Tendinopathy/Biceps Tendinitis
Clavicle Fractures (Collarbone Fractures)
AC Joint Injuries (Separated Shoulder)
- Begly JP, Guss MS, Wolfson T, Mahure S, Rokito AS, Jazrawi JM. Performance Outcomes After Medial Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction in Major League Baseball Positional Players. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 Feb;27(2):282-290. PMID 29332665.
- Guss MS, Begly JP, Ramme AJ, Taormina DP, Rettig ME, Capo JT. Performance Outcomes After Hook of the Hamate Fractures in Major League Baseball Players. J Sport Rehabil. 2017 Jul:1-14. PMID 28714783.
- Guss MS, Begly JP, Ramme AJ, Hinds RM, Karia RJ, Capo JT. Performance Outcomes After Metacarpal Fractures in National Basketball Association Players. Hand. 2016 Dec;11(4):427-432. PMID 28149209.
- Distal Biceps Tendon Ruptures in NFL Players”
- Guss MS, Mitgang J, Sapienza A. Scaphoid Healing Necessary for Unrestricted Activity – A Biomechanical Cadaver Model. J Hand Surg Am. 2018 Feb;43(2):134-138.
- Guss MS, Kaye ID, Rettig M. Bennett Fractures A Review of Management. Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2016 Sep;74(3):197-202.
- Guss MS, Bronson WH, Rettig M. Acute Scapholunate Ligament Instability. J Hand Surg Am. 2015 Oct;40(10):2065-2067.
- Prensky C, Urruela A, Guss MS, Karia R, Lenzo TJ, Egol KA. Symptomatic Venous Thrombo-Embolism in Low-Energy Isolated Fractures in Hospitalised Patients. Injury. 2013 Aug;44(8):1135-9.
- Guss MS, Youm T. Accelerated Degenerative Joint Disease in a Young Patient After Staged Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy. Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2017 May;75(3):220-224.
- Ramme AJ, Guss MS, Vira S, Vigdorchik J, Newe A, Raithel E, Chang G. Automated Cartilage Segmentation from High Resolution MR Imaging of the Hip. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Jan;31(1):64-9.
- Begly JP, Guss MS, Ramme AJ, Karia RJ, Meislin R. Return to Play and Performance After Jones Fracture in National Basketball Association Players. Sports Health. 2015 Dec 1;8(4):342-346.
- Uquillas C, Guss MS, Ryan D, Strauss E. Everything Achilles: Knowledge Update and Current Concepts in Management. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 Jul 15;97(14):1187 -1195
- Lonner BS, Toombs CS, Guss MS, Braaksma B, Shah SA, Samdani A, Shufflebarger H, Sponseller P, Newton PO. Complications in Operative Scheuermann’s Kyphosis: do the Pitfalls Differ from Operative Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis? Spine. 2015 Mar;40(5):305-11.